Saturday, December 16, 2006

Do Christians Hate Christians?

I recently made the statement that "if the world wanted to be rid of Christianity, all it would have to do is ignore it for about twenty minutes and we would kill each other." That statement is strong, and clearly exaggerated, but it stems from an intense frustration that I am experiencing lately. I have been looking at all the hills "Christians" are willing to die on and for.

Calvinists vs. Arminians
Regulative principle vs. Normative principle
Cessationists vs. Continuationists
Premillenialists vs. Amillenialists vs. Postmillenialists vs. Preterists
KJV Only vs. Everybody else
Fundamentalists (of all stripes) vs. Emerging Church (of all stripes)
Conservative vs. Liberal
Cushioned chair vs. Wooden pew
Pulpit vs. Barstool
Adam with a navel vs. Adam without a navel
Polyester vs. Natural fiber
Big hair vs. Shaved head
Hymnal vs. Projector
Young earth vs. Old earth
Pork vs. Chicken

In arguing a position, people are willing to sacrifice signigficant relationships. I have heard believers verbally assasinate other believers simply because their perspective was different from theirs. Is there not room for disagreement in the Church?

The sad part of it (and I'm talking about the kind of sad that should make us weep!) is that those outside the church don't even know what we're fighting about. They just see us bickering over how we do things and what our "positions" should officially be. When "Worship Wars" makes the front cover of national magazines, we have to say openly, "Woe is us!"

Can it really be that many of us would gladly travel around the world to contend for a point, but only reluctantly love our neighbor with the gospel of Christ?

I am not saying (NOT NOT NOT saying) that we should not be diligent in pursuing truth, and that there is not objective truth in these issues. What I am saying is that there is room for disagreement and learning and wretstling and teaching in every one of the above mentioned issues.

Consider the words of Paul in Philippians 2:1-4:

So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

It is an occasion for great grief that we are more concerned with proving our points and being right than we are with serving each other with humility and grace. Let us pursue truth! But let us also, with intensity and zeal, pursue love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

If it is true that they will know that we are Jesus' disciples by our love for each other, is it also true that they will know we are not his disciples when we tear each other to shreds because we disagree on theological details? Is it possible that by trying to nail everything down to the finest degree that we are collapsing any possibility of being of one mind?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's truly amazing to read this because I was just visiting my neighbor in the hospital on Saturday and she said she wouldn't go to church because regardless of what church it was there would be some underlying bickering going on. It's true to most extents(or, at least, I've experienced). I've been so guilty of this at times. I pray God transforms me.
Deb Paul

BeckyJ said...

Good thoughts. The truth God has revealed is perfect and does not contradict itself, but our understanding (this side of heaven) is incomplete. He provided enough detail for us to live lives that are reconciled to Him, but He never promised complete and flawless knowledge of every topic in scripture. I think our (my) pride causes these haughty divisions in the body. We tend to make an idol of our understanding of scripture, don't we?

We would do well to remember: "And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace." Col 3:15

So, what do you think is worse? Our apathy or our hatred? Either way, I agree with Deb and pray that God transforms my heart as well.

Rob said...

Deb,
I am as guilty of this as anyone. I think the thing that comes screaming to my consciousness in all of this is how much pride it reveals in me. God's transforming grace is my only hope.

BeckyJ,
Apathy and hatred...two sides of the same coin, no?

And for the record, I do have definite positions on virtually all the things I listed, and I have and will argue these points. But two things have emerged for me when it comes to arguing over doctrinal things.

1. My positions have changed before, and I pray that, through God's continuing, sanctifying work, my views will continue to change and grow.

2. I have been so unyielding and fixed in making arguments that I have alienated good, godly people (not to mention who-knows-how-many unbelievers).

I say truth! But I also contend (hopefully modestly) that grace and longsuffering and humility are a great part of the truth we're supposed to get.

Thanks for your comments!